Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving, Y'all!


Soulmates

This Thanksgiving, the whole family went to the Valley (as in, the Rio Grande Valley for the non-Texans) to visit my grandma. We don't get down south very often, but when we do it's always a treat. Gramma and I are very close, and visiting her means I get to poke through drawers of pictures, catalogs of jewelery, and play with a rainbow selection of scarves and purses. Plus, we gorge on everything from homemade pickles to homemade pies, and not an ounce of food comes from a can. For those of you who's Thanksgivings consist of Boston Market and canned cranberry jelly.... I'm sorry you missed it. We had plenty of extras.


Me and Gramma at my graduation.
 Gramma is, for lack of better terms, a helluva woman.  Standing at a mighty 4'11, she weilds matriarchal power with grace as she teeters around the kitchen in a fully color-coordinated outfit. Even her sweats match her tennis shoes; in the Christmas spirit, she was wearing red today. Don't let the matching fool you, though. She's weathered depressions, wars, deaths, and more with unvarnished class. It would take me hours to detail just why she's my hero, but since you (and I) don't have the time, I'll just share some pictures and insist that you take my word on it.

 
We are a family divided on Thanksgiving, but you better believe this 12th Man Towel appeared so that everyone knew where Gramma stood.

Just some of her candy-colored bangles


Gramma's jewelery drawers are a showcase in jewelery from the 40s to today. Check out the Aggie section in the top right corner. The Gig 'Em thumb earrings are classic!

One of her jewelery stands. The other is the lighter colored cabinent to the left.

My Gramma and Grandpa's cake-topper from their wedding in 1949. Found this in a china cabinent stuffed to the brim with crystal and antique plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment